Our clients tell us there is a big difference between partners who are supporters of the partnership versus those who are ‘champions’. So, once you’ve found the right people, how do you turn partners into partnership champions?
Here’s what our research tells us about what makes partnership champions unique:
- Partnership champions consistently achieve better results. Why?
- Because their behaviours and actions lead them to success. So, what influences their behaviours?
- They make better and more informed decisions. And how do they make better decisions?
- They THINK differently than an average partner.
How can you spot a partnership champion?
They are more likely to have these 8 qualities:
- Believe the partnership meets their personal and professional needs
- Ask questions to increase their understanding, not improve their position
- Help integrate new partners quickly into the partnership
- Take initiative and ask how they can help
- See potential issues before they become problems
- Be grounded in the realistic potential of the partnership
- Easily describe the partnership to stakeholders and resource providers
- Be actively engaged in the partnership between meetings
How do you turn partners into partnership champions?
There are 2 important factors that increase engagement of partners.
1. Help each partner identify the specific benefits of the partnership.
They can do this by answering 2 questions:
- How will participating in the partnership benefit me personally and professionally?
- How will participating in the partnership benefit my organization?
Partners are more likely to want to be engaged in a partnership when they can clearly see, “what’s in it for me” and “what’s in it for my organization”.
2. Align the strengths of the individual with their role in the partnership.
Partners are more likely to spontaneously lead and succeed in partnership activities that they feel are purposeful and within their areas of expertise. For example, consider how you feel and behave when someone gives you a task that you really dislike or you think is outside of your skill set (e.g., taking out the garbage, climbing Mount Everest). How excited are you? Does procrastination set in? How likely are you to complete the task efficiently?
Are you being the best partnership champion for your organization?
©2016 Enette Pauzé & Level 8 Leadership Institute. All rights reserved.
- Posted by Enette Pauzé
- On May 24, 2016